Sunday 20 December 2015

Whisky

It is with immense sadness that I have to tell you that Whisky has passed away.

Normally when one of our fluffy friends leaves for the rainbow bridge I would tell something of the story of their life and how they have touched ours at the Rescue. In Whisky's case his story, his personality, the crazy things he got up to, they are already here in the pages of this blog. And though I probably never said it here, I'm sure it was obvious to anyone who read his tiny tales - I loved him deeply.

Whisky was booked in for his nasal endoscopy on Wednesday, so the night before we decided to do our Xmas photo shoot. Santa hats, cuddles and lots of motivational treats. Whisky was in good spirits and, apart from the noises in his nose and all the sneezing, seemed in relatively good health. When the treats ran out he turned his back on me in a huff, but I laid next to him and gently stroked his head until he relaxed and let me cuddle him there on the floor. He went to sleep with my arm around him. It was a really sweet moment and one that I will never forget.

Wednesday morning before we left he was properly bright and cheerful. The pellets from dinner the night before had gone (in recent weeks they had been going untouched) and I even caught him eating hay, things were really starting to look up. And they got better - he came through his procedure OK, having two foreign objects removed from the lumps in his nose, most likely bits from the hay and grass that had gotten lodged. All that worry over such a little problem. Just the enlarged adrenal gland left to worry about.

At home, Whisky was groggy and disorientated but that was to be expected after a general anesthetic. His procedure was the last of the day, he hadn't been awake all that long when I picked him up, so he was even groggier and more confused than usual. He wasn't happy with me for leaving him at the vet for the day either so I left him alone for a couple of hours to recover. I'll spare you the details, but it then turned into a long, anxiety-filled night of little sleep for either of us. In the morning he was clearly worse so I put him in the car to rush him back to the vets.

An hours drive later, just five minutes away from the vets, we were stopped at a set of traffic lights. I looked at the carrier and there was his face pressed up against the door looking back at me. I was surprised, usually he spends the whole journey the other end hiding in disgust and/or fear. I told him we were close, the lights turned green and we were off again. A few minutes up the road I heard a noise, but I didn't think too much about it at the time. Another minute I was racing through the door of the vets, carrier in hand, but when I looked inside I realised it was too late, the noise I heard had almost certainly been his last breath. At around 8:40am on Thursday 17th December 2015, Whisky passed away.

We still don't know what finished him in the end. The post-mortem showed no blood anywhere it shouldn't be, no obvious indication of organ failure. The cause of the enlarged adrenal gland turned out to be a cyst. We are still waiting on a few test results but we may never know for sure, and knowing isn't likely to change anything. My beautiful boy is gone.

Whisky, you were the centre of my universe, my little boy, my everything. So long as I have memories you shall be in the best of them. My life will never be the same without you. I hope you are at peace.

21 comments:

  1. Oh no,This is a sad day!Binky free Whisky you gorgeous funny boy.hugs to you and snuggles from Speedy,xx Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Speedy, and thanks for sharing on your own site. x

      Delete
  2. I've so enjoyed seeing photos of whiskey and reading about his adventures over the years, it was so abundantly clear he was a beloved family member and I'm sorry for your loss. I'll miss seeing his funny little face every week, but know your careful care made his time on this earth both happy and long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your loss. We came to bring Soft Pawkisses to comfort you <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I'm in tears again :( A very very special boy :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sad to lose our anipals. Sending you strength. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss - Whisky was a special little boy. It was obvious to all the love you guys had for each other, and I'm grateful you shared your furbaby with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry for your loss, Whisky was such a lucky bunny to be so loved and well cared for & he had such a long, happy life because of you. Binky free at the bridge Whisky :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in tears..I truly am. I come by way of Speedy, who mentioned your loss. As I read how he passed, my heart just dropped. Isn't it amazing how these silent creatures can move our world? May his little spirit be remembered forever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We came over from Speedy's place too. We are so, so sorry to hear about dear Whisky. Such a special jewel. Love and hugs to you from all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, no, no, not our precious, precious Whiskey. "If I should live forever and all my dreams come true, my memories of love will be of you." John Denver and Placido Domingo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's amazing how bunnies touch our lives and I have enjoyed reading your stories. Binky free, sweet bun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful bunny. You gave him a wonderful love filled life and such excellent medical care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear, so very sorry to hear of Whisky's passing. Sending much love and good thoughts out to you and to him as well--so many special buns have left us this year, and each one has left a space that cannot be filled. *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  14. We came to pay respect to Whisky.
    Sorry to hear of his passing may you find
    comfort knowing he loved you as much
    as you loved him.
    xo Cinnamon

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was listening to Bette Midler singing The Rose, and I was thinking of all the people who give homes to abandoned animals, and I wanted to thank you again for showing Whiskey with all his problems that love is not only for the lucky and the strong.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks everyone for all your kind words, they are very much appreciated. I still find it hard to talk (or type) about it, so please excuse me if I can't reply individually right now. We did get the last of the results back yesterday, still no definite answer, but the detailed CT scan showed a significant brain lesion and the bloods suggested compromised function on the cystic adrenal gland. Perhaps it really was his time and the happy night and morning before were just his last gift to me.
    :-(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing Whiskey with us. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing Whiskey with us. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We are so sad and sorry to hear about Whiskey. We have been away since the 19/12 and I have only just read your post. We have been in your position and know the complete heartbreak you are going through. This is the reason we have not got anymore - it is so painful. However, we have to remember how much Whiskey was loved and what a happy life he had with you. It is reassuring to know that there are others who love their buns as much as we do. It is also good that you have Anouska and Bobbit as they will give you lots of funny and happy moments when you are feeling really down. You are in our thoughts and prayers. You can see how popular Whiskey was from all the replies you have. We never met him but we felt like we knew him to. Thanks for all the posts on him we loved hearing about his escapades. Jennifer and Lance

    ReplyDelete
  20. I stopped coming to the blog because I was getting to attached to Whisky and I was so afraid this day would come... I'm what, six months late? And I still had to come back and check. I am so sorry. I could tell you loved him immensely, and I'm sure in his bunny way he loved you back. They always do.

    I'm so glad you were always so detailed in sharing Whisky with us... He had such a personality! And those heart bunnies always stay with us. I'm sorry I'm so late... I'm such a sensitive wuss... Many hugs to you and all of the bunnies at the rescue.

    ReplyDelete