Wednesday 8 January 2014

Attachenfloof

The mere fact that I am NOT considered locally as "The Crazy Bunny Guy" and living in a house-of-a-hundred-buns is proof positive that I am able to avoid becoming overly attached to foster bunnies. But it can be hard. Especially so when the possibility of bonding them with Whisky has been on the cards. Not surprising then that I am struggling at the idea of giving up on Ms Floofy-Bitey-Face, who is due to go back in the next few weeks.

Living with her has been a tremendous challenge. She is easily spooked, so even when things are going well her confidence can be suddenly shattered by some random noise or thing that causes her to panic and hide, blaming me and sending us almost back to square one. One night I managed to elicit a highly interactive game of nose-ball out of her, the next she would make herself scarce if I even came into her room. For several days I was able to call her to come running and take snacks out of my hand, a few days later we were back to her not even taking them out her bowl while I was in sight. Little steps forward often come after much thought, work, adaptation and patience, giant steps back can happen in an instant because the central heating fired up at just the wrong moment.

To top off the behavioural challenges, there's the health problems, the constant worry over her eating and what's going on with her ulcerated mouth.

So with all the emotional strain and anxiety you might think I'd be glad to see the back of her, but of course the more you struggle with something the bigger a part of your life it becomes. Plus of course, the thought of sending her back, thus putting more disruption in her life, is not desirable. And then Monday night I witnessed her perform a big bunny flop against Whisky's stair gate, where she flipped herself upside down from standing throwing those fluffy little feets in the air... It's hard to let go of those moments.

I can only keep reminding myself that if/when she does go back, there is a chance she might be able to find a more rabbit-sociable bunny than Whisky to be her friend and maybe remind her it's not that bad hanging round with us smelly humans.

In the meantime, I guess I just have to live with the grumpy floofiness of it all.

"I'm bored of you today. Shall we play 'human-go-hide'?"

5 comments:

  1. For all their bravado, bunnies are tender little things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry and stupid. I once started sleeping on the floor for two bonded bunnies who had real problems with trusting people. They quickly came to love jumping on me and running around me. I think they felt in control for a change. Then there is the story of Sugar the cat and Buck the dog. They were across the street neighbors and pound pets. Sugar had come home first, and when Buck was brought home, she refused to come down stairs for a year, but then they became the most incredible friends. Pain makes everything harder, really harder. Home is where the pain stops. Thank you for your caring. I wish I could help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What if Neroli could have one of Whiskey's toys to beat up on? Make friends with? And then try the real thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one of the reasons for me buying that new toy bunny, which Whisky has pretty much ignored since the day after he got it though so it doesn't really smell of him. I've tried rubbing it on his chin (you can guess how much he loved that - not) and leaving it in her room, she hasn't destroyed it...yet. (Whereas she HAS destroyed a number of other things in her room, like the floor, her kennel...)

      Delete
  4. some times they are so much work,but then those one can be the most rewarding too,xx Rachel

    ReplyDelete